I am the former Alderman for New Haven's Westville neighborhood, Ward 25.
Central Ave. & Willard St. New Haven, CT - Westville
This intersection needs major work. Narrowing the travel lanes by reducing pedestrian crossing distances would be one of the most effective ways to permanently reduce speeds. The city could also consider raised intersections and roundabouts, as they have in other neighborhoods.
Chris Heitmann wrote:
Cars don’t look like that when crashing at 25mph, which is what the posted speed limit is here and throughout New Haven. On neighborhood streets like Central and Willard, it arguably should be slower, more like 20mph. While the NHPD has done an excellent job of stepping up traffic enforcement in the neighborhood, enforcement will only get us so far. Similarly with education: it’s needed, but will have a very limited impact (no pun intended). The third “E” - Engineering - is where the city can really improve safety here. As Pedro suggests, this intersection is an excellent candidate for a small roundabout (not as big as on West Park, for which there’s no room here). Other alternatives would be bumping out the sidewalk at all four corners, thus narrowing the street and reducing crossing distances, raised crosswalks, and/or pedestrian refuges/planted medians leading into the intersection. The city needs to really study what the BEST solution would be here, and to consult with neighbors throughout. My concern with the idea of another traffic light is that cars would arguably speed more in order to make the light. The solution needs to SLOW PEOPLE DOWN, which would make this safer for cars, pedestrians, cyclists, and the kids who cross and wait here for the school bus every morning.
Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt yesterday and that no pedestrians or cyclists without 3000 pounds of steel to product them were in the intersection when this happened. A big thank you to the NHFD for a job well done and to the Independent for bringing attention to this sadly ongoing yet preventable issue.
A few other residents wrote:
- I live a few houses down on Willard, and that intersection is horrible. You have to pull out almost into the middle of Central to see past the street parking, and people fly up and down Central. It’s the only big intersection in the area without a 4 way stop.
- I was almost involved in a serious accident in high school right at this intersection. A guy in a Camaro was flying down central, and I pulled out from willard not seeing him (since he was so far down the street) and he slammed his brakes hard and just missed me. While I was the “cause” of him stopping, it was the fact that he was going about 60 down central that would have caused the accident.
- Central is a nice long straight run through Westville and people use it as a speedway to cross over New Haven all the time since it links Rt 34 to Whalley. The minimal cost of stop signs at all of the unsignaled intersections would greatly reduce the speeds on this street.
- Thank God no one was killed last night. That is without question one of THE WORST intersections in New Haven. Speed on Central Ave combined with poor visibility from Willard is a recipe for casualties.
400 468 Central Ave New Haven, CT - Westville
The street is currently being rebuilt between West Elm and Chapel.
This is an opportunity to get the street right, i.e., bring it into compliance with the city's Complete Streets Policy. As evidenced on numerous SeeClickFix tickets, the street is currently a liability to the neighborhood, rather than an asset. See examples at
http://www.seeclickfix.com/issues/1274-speeding-and-running-stop-sign (16 votes to fix)
http://www.seeclickfix.com/issues/67319-dangerous-intersection-crazy-crashes (25 votes to fix)
Instead of having to tear up Central Avenue again in a few years, why can't the city build it correctly the first time around?
As Chris Heitmann has explained elsewhere, examples would include: Not striping the double yellow (which makes the street feel like a highway), installing bumpouts, painting chicanes (which alternates the parking), lowering the posted speeds, etc.
Repaving it exactly the way it was before is the definition of insanity. The same problems will keep coming up again and again.
There are neighbors willing to organize and approve a Complete Streets compliant design. Let's do it.
Willard St And Alden Ave. - Westville
At the intersection of Willard st. and Alden Ave. there are only 2 stop signs on Willard and none on Alden. This has become a stretch of road that has constant speeders and accidents. There are many families and dog owners who cross Alden in this area and we need Stop Signs on Alden.
319 Alden Ave New Haven, CT - Westville
I have witnessed 2 serious car accidents at the intersection of Alden and Willard, and just today witnessed another near miss. Traffic on Willard is required to stop, but traffic on Alden does not. The stop signs on Willard do not say "2-way stop" or "cross traffic does not stop." It would be a simple fix.
506-530 Edgewood Avenue New Haven, Connecticut - Edgewood
This is a popular meeting spot for gangs of ATV / Motorcross Hoodlums. They are very well organized, meet here and then take off, terrorizing our streets. Last evening, around 7:30PM there were about 15 of them that took off into traffic on Ella T. Grasso Blvd. WOULD THE POLICE AND THE CITY PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE PEOPLE OVERTAKING OUR CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????
574 Central Avenue New Haven, Connecticut - Westville
Drug dealing at the brick apartments, if you are looking at the apartments from central ave. it is one of the units on the building to the right, closest to the road. Seems to be that back door closest to the road. Multiple vehicles idle across the street, a guy comes out, serves them and goes back in. Im going to start taking pics and putting them on here.
183 241 Alden Ave New Haven, CT 06515, USA - Westville
Just a heads up to all. Packages delivered by UPS mostly and sometimes FedEx have been stolen. It happens within minutes after delivery. Suspect someone is trailing the route.
Also - unsure if same suspect - a suspicious white truck has also been floating around just minutes after UPS. Truck has been seen driving and creeping slow around homes, stopping at porch-sightline and peering onto porches from the vehicle. Driver is older gent with two younger gents in vehicle. Suspicious vehicle has been approached and their explanation has been they were looking for scrap metal ON PRIVATE PROPERTY! Regardless, its an admission of suspicious activity. They shouldnt be peering for any reason.
Edgewood Park New Haven, CT 06511, USA - Westville
Now until May 31, Help bring a Fruit Trees Orchard in Edgewood Park, New Haven CT! A mix of apple, pear, plum, sweet cherry and, (if possible at all), apricot. A total of 45+ trees plus fruit bearing shrubs!
When we win this grant, The City of New Haven will match the award by planting the same number of fruit trees in other parks land in the city!
How to vote:
(1) goto http://www.communitiestakeroot.com/
(2) select your state to enter site, (1st time on computer only)
(3) Click on the vote "VOTE NOW" button
(4) On the "List by State" TAB under "CT" (Connecticut) choose
"Friends of Edgewood Park" in New Haven
(5) Register, (1st time), or log in (don't need to opt in for e-mails) (6) Click on "PLANT MY VOTE"
(7) Please do this every day until May 31, so that we can have
fruits daily in the near future.